Friday, April 11, 2008

Is Your Baby Representin'?

I was reading The Rocky Mountain News yesterday and came across a story about a mother and father fighting over which gang their baby will be brought up in. You can read the story here. Really? Really? First of all, I'd like to know how these two came together to make a baby if they are from different gangs. And much like religion in a relationship, why didn't one just convert to the other's gang?

Actually, what I'd really like to know is if this child's household has been referred to a review by Child Protective Services. Something tells me that a baby who is around gang activity is also around other unsavory activities. What happened to Barney vs. Big Bird? Now, I know that everyone is entitled to raise their child as they please and this right should be protected as US citizens; but this just seems bad and doesn't look like it will end well. I hope an anti-gang advocacy group gets ahold of this mother and shakes some sense into her. This child deserves its "real" mother, but if she's willing to subject her innocent baby to this, then the baby needs to be taken into custody.

However, the foster system can be just as bad. Not always, I know of some great foster parents and most are, but the system is overworked. I just pray that this child will turn out as a caring, productive member of society.

No comments: